• Until further notice, store hours will be: Noon – 8 pm, Tues.-Sun.
• Carry-out only
• Sit-down bar closed, effective immediately
• Get a growler to go
|Second Avenue Subway entrance directly across from City Swiggers. Watch C.S. owner Alan Rice featured in this WPIX-ch11 clip. Click HERE to view online article and clip.|
• Article in The New York Times
• Article in the Wall Street Journal
• Studio interview, "Taking Stock" hosted by Pimm Fox and Courtney Donohoe, Bloomberg Radio.
• Manhattan Sideways (The Roads Less Traveled) Web site featured City Swiggers with an in-depth profile with slideshow.
• Download PDF to see The New York Post, Pulse section, present City Swiggers with pix & blurb (see #10).
• Shecky's Media: "City Swiggers is straight-up porn for the beer aficionado."
• Time Out New York: "New-breed beer stores"
• Food n Craft
• 89th and Broke
• Shelton Brothers Blog
• Grub Street New York (scroll down to see City Swiggers mention).
• Village Voice: "City Swiggers Beer Store and Tasting Room Debuts on UES"
• Shermans Travel blog: "Brush Up on Your Beer Knowledge at NYC's City Swiggers"
• Cocktails & Curiosities buys 2 growlers, blogs City Swiggers with high praise, says we'll be a regular stop for them over the summer.
1. What is this place about?
We're a beer store and a beer bar in one. We have 30 seats with tables for those who want to enjoy a pint or a flight on premises. And we have about 800 beers in bottles (to go) on the shelves. Check out our tap list, above--at this Web page--or on the black board on the wall across from the bar in the store. As for the bottles, we have domestic beers in the front (west wall, sorted by region/brewery) and imports and ciders in the back. The cooler has a little of everything, sorted by style.
2. How long has City Swiggers been open?
City Swiggers has been open since November 1, 2011.
3. How many beers in bottles do you have?
We have over 8,000 beers in inventory, so far, and over 900 available on our shelves at any one time.
4. I have my own growler; will you fill it?
We'll fill almost almost any growler. A hi-foam beer (eg.: Hefeweizen) in a growler with with a narrow neck may be rejected; just too much beer waste with these circumstances.
5. How much is a City Swiggers growler if I need to buy one?
$5 +tax for the 64-oz. bottle (4 pints) and $3 +tax for the 32-oz. bottle (2 pints).
6. How long does beer stay fresh in a growler?
First, always keep your growler beer refrigerated. You should plan to open your growler within a couple of days (stouts and high-alcohol beeers perhaps a day or two longer). Once you open it, you should try to drink it up. As soon as your beer is exposed to oxygen it will rapidly begin to go flat.
7. How often do you change your taps?
We rotate them out one-by-one as they become depleted (we say, "kicked"). Our tap list changes almost completely every 10 to 12 days or so. And it is rare that the same beer will go up in place on any one tap, or ever. Lesson: You can count on our beers to be fresh but, indeed, ever-changing.
8. May I drink a bottle on premises?
We encourage people to drink from the taps, but if you must, we have sliding corkage fees on top of the price of your bottle:
=> $3 extra on any beer under 17 ounces
=> $5 extra on any beer over 17 ounces
=> $2 extra for gluten-free beer (because these are never available on tap)
=> no extra charge for purchased soft drinks from a bottle drunk on premises
9. What are your hours?
We're open 7 days a week. M-Th: 1-10, F: 1-11, Sat: Noon-11, Sun: Noon-9.